Thursday, January 8, 2009

Motion of the Ocean


      Well we've all been through it before. One moment, your just lounging out on the deck, and staring out onto the horizon as the boat's bow glides through the Blockquotecrashing waves. The next, it hits you. Your head starts spinning. You need to lay down. Your stomach feels queasy and your overcome with the desire to have your feet firmly planted on solid ground. You gotta love motion sickness.
Over winter break, my family and I went snorkeling in Key West, Florida. And don't get me wrong, being able to swim above sea turtles and actually see the variety of fish under water was probably one of the most freeing experience ever. The trip would have been perfect had it not been for my 22 year old cousin who was curled up like a baby in the corner of the boat. About 10 minutes into the boat ride, he had felt the sea sickness settle in, but I didn't know how to help him. So I decided to look up a couple different ways to minimize motion sickness and here's what I got:
1. When the brain interprets movement, it matches with what our eyes see. If our eyes see movement as we are feeling it, you'll feel fine. So when your on a boat, look into the distance to see the motion that you're feeling.
2. Always sit facing forwards towards the direction that you are moving.
3. Don't read.
4. Don't eat food that generally don't agree with your stomach before your board the ship.
5. Don't talk to others who are have motion sickness, it may make you feel worse.
Well hopefully these tips will help you the next time you feel the motion sickness monster creeping up on you. Sail on!

2 comments:

Mr. Clutch said...

This is really interesting because, although I've never been sea-sick while on a boat, I have been car-sick and experienced similar symptoms. I also found that when I stopped reading and looked ou the window, I almost always felt better. One of the most interesting points that you made was robably that you should not talk tp someone who is motion-sick. It makes sense but I had never thought of it.

mhorwitzz said...

Wow, great tips! I'm sure I will be able to remember this blog post next time I'm starting to get motion sickness. Maybe they can even help me go on amusement park rides and not feel sick afterwards. This was a helpful blog post!